Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Alfredo Pizza

Well, the picture/final appearance of this pizza doesn't really do it justice. Maybe one day after I learn how to make food that is tasty and attractive. Oh well, I would rather cook ugly good food than pretty bad food!!
This pizza was rated a reluctant 8.5 by the hubbs. He couldn't decide between that or an 8. He said he loved the alfredo sauce, but finds it weird that I put it on a pizza!!! I actually thought it was awesome. I like crazy pizza, and always get the "weird" kind at a buffet. He sticks to tried and true pepperoni or supreme. Last night, Matt was home and we made this together, which was really fun. We enjoy cooking together now and then. As it was baking, he ran to the store and grabbed some Dos Equis and then we ate over some beers and a movie. We watched "Camille" (my choice of course) which was really, really weird!!!

So here is the recipe. Kristy sent me a recipe, and said that the alfredo was "superb". I had originally planned to just make it to serve over pasta, but the pizza idea was really intriguing to me.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 pint heavy cream
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons cream cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS
In a bowl, mix the water, oil, and yeast. Stir in the flour. Roll into a ball, and transfer to a well-oiled bowl. Allow to rise 1 hour in a warm location, or until doubled in size.
Thoroughly grease a deep dish pizza pan. Punch down dough, and transfer to the pan. Cover dough with a cloth, and allow crust to rise 25 minutes, until puffy.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
In a saucepan over low heat, mix the cream, butter, and cream cheese, stirring constantly, until melted and well-blended. Mix in Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Continue to cook and stir 15 minutes, or until Parmesan is lightly browned. Spread over the pizza crust. Top with mozzarella cheese.
Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until crust is lightly browned.
Changes I made:
Like I said, I only made the sauce from this recipe. I used 2 Jiffy pizza crust mixes (only 50 cents each!), which are quite good. Then, I made the alfredo sauce and added fresh mushrooms and onions after the cheese had melted. I simmered this for a few minutes. Meanwhile, I browned some chicken that I had seasoned with garlic and italian seasoning. I combined the chicken with the sauce mixture, spread it on my pizzas, and baked it for 20 minutes. I was nervous because the sauce was really thin, but it thickened nicely in the oven.
Double yum!!

1 comment:

  1. eh, how was the crust? i tried to make it and it was a flop.... found another dough recipe on AR and it was delish! i'll have to fwd it to you.

    ReplyDelete